Welcome!
Best.Emily is not implying I am the best Emily there ever was, but is a reminder for me to work toward the best version of myself. I want to turn up the dials on happiness! appreciation! patience! energy! empathy! and goodwill!

Monday, June 27, 2011

There are no stupid questions



I have been feeling a slight tugging over the past few months
Each time I shrug it off 
a minor thought, 
a passing feeling,
But it seems, that over these past few months, 
each uncomfortable moment tugs at my 'future career'

And suddenly today, it left me feeling unsettled and concerned.

Since I started my post-secondary journey, 
the future projections for career and lifestyle have been tied to Environmentalism.

As I grow older I've become more aware of the monumental struggles of obtaining jobs, 
better jobs, 
homes, 
sustenance, 
partners, 
things and 
I’ve begun to feel unconfident in my ability to match a career in Environmentalism to an extremely sustainable lifestyle.

I feel torn between what kind of city/town I want to live in,
What kind of home,
And where my initially small income will go.

I grew up in a suburb, 
and while I find them placeless, boring and limited,
I have a shortlist of neighbourhoods I’d want to call home in the 
Big City

I love the idea of having a small yard, with room for a garden and 
fire pit,
But I know that suburban, 
low-density housing is possibly the most unsustainable planning 
we’ve ever utilized,
I also know that my dollar will go much further outside of the Big City.

At the time being, 
I eat so many vegetables off the Dirty Dozen list,
and while I’m educated in how these toxic chemicals affect my body, 
I can’t buy organic right now. 
A small expense yes, 
but I already stretch my tiny grocery budget about as far as it will go.

Once I get out of school, I will need to take a job,
And I will have the responsibility of wielding a larger (hopefully) income, 
but where will it go?

I will not be live feeling like a hypocritical environmentalist.
I take pride in being true to the bone
Will I be able to live in a smart, mega-dense home,
Utilize all the newest energy efficient appliances,
Purchase the right products from the right manufacturers,
And eat the most sustainable foods?
And 
how will those around me participate?

I just don’t know.
I feel like the things I’ve learned, 
I cannot unlearn
And I cannot forget  
I would never want to.

The things I’ve learned make me question what I believe in,
How I want to conduct myself,
And how involved/devoted I can become.

No comments:

Post a Comment